Considered the last major project of architect Porfírio Pardal Monteiro, and completed by his nephew António Pardal Monteiro after his death, this is the first building built from scratch to host Biblioteca Nacional de Portugal (BNP), after passing through various locations since its inception as "Biblioteca Pública da Corte” in 1796.
Located in one of the main entrances of Lisbon, Jardim do Campo Grande occupies an area of about 14 hectares and is the largest green space in the city. Up to the nineteenth century, it was known as "Campo de Alvalade" or "Passeio Público" (public promenade) and served as a stage for fairs and other leisure activities.
Reitoria da Universidade de Lisboa, an imposing building that towers over Alameda da Universidade, was inaugurated in 1961, completing the project designed in 1956 by architect Porfírio Pardal Monteiro and finished by his nephew, António Pardal Monteiro.
The present building of Torre do Tombo was designed by architect Arsénio Cordeiro’s studio and opened in 1990. It was conceived to receive the Arquivo Nacional da Torre do Tombo, whose vast collection was, since 1757, in Mosteiro de São Bento da Saúde, today known as Palácio de São Bento. The new state was named after the mural tower of Castelo de São Jorge, where some of the kingdom documents where held since 1378, and until 1755.
The idea of creating a "Historical Municipal Museum of Lisbon”, in order to document and disseminate the city’s history at different stages of its evolution, dates back to 1909, but the museum would only have a fixed existence in 1942, at Palácio da Mitra. Until then it has no certain address, a problem that ends with the purchase of Palácio Pimenta by the municipality, in 1962, a building of great architectural value, classified as cultural heritage in 1936, and that would definitely transfer the “Museu da Cidade” to where it still remains.
Museu Bordalo Pinheiro, now property of Lisbon’s City Council, is a museum totally dedicated to the study and dissemination of the work of Rafael Bordalo Pinheiro (1846-1905), especially his designs and ceramics. Open to the public in 1916, a large parte of its estate comes from the “colecção bordaliana”, assembled by the poet Cruz Magalhães, huge admirer of Bordalo’s work.
The plan to build Hospital Júlio de Matos is a story that holds attention. Although the first plants signed by Prof. Júlio de Matos, the engineer D. Luiz de Melo and the architect Leonel Gaia, date from 1913, its construction extends over 30 years. It was actually Júlio de Matos (1856-1922), specialized in alienism and forensic psychiatry, the great promoter for the foundation of this hospital.
Created in 1946 with an international vocation, its reputation immediately crossed borders, with activity in all continents. Now, six decades after its opening, LNEC continues to honor the name of Portugal.
Built by Lisbon City Council as "the first set of ateliers in the city, for the protection and encouragement of the artist community", Complexo dos Coruchéus opened in 1971 in Alvalade neighborhood, integrating 50 studios near the secular Palácio dos Coruchéus.
Porfírio Pardal Monteiro - Arquitecto de Lisboa ••• Architecture Exhibition
Encontrar Maria Keil ••• Tiles Exhibition
Urban Sketchers ••• Sketches Exhibition
Vanguarda ••• Photography Exhibition
LisbonWeek is now a Biennale. The new format will allow each edition a deeper city rediscovery as well an depth intervention in each area where the event will show activities. The next edition is scheduled for April 2015.
Alvalade District between Lisbon vanguard and modernity
Alvalde is the neighborhood chosen to host the 3rd edition of LisbonWeek. A voyage between modernity and vanguard of Lisbon 50s. Soon will be available the list of places and spaces that will present events and activities during the LisbonWeek 2015.
More than 39.000 followers are connected with our facebook page. Follow us and stay tuned with all the event news. The voyage through the Lisbon rediscovery has begun.
Review here the best moments of LisbonWeek 2013. From 21 to 28 September between the Tejo River and Marquês de Pombal Lisbon had no end.
55.000 participants during two editions
Throughout the 2012 and 2013 editions the event featured more than 55.000 visitors. The innovative cultural program captivated locals however each edition international publics gained prominence in the total number of visitors.
The first edition of LisbonWeek happened between 22 and 28 October 2012. Review the best moments from Miradouro de São Pedro de Alcântara to Rua do Século and Chiado District.