rotas
item

HISTORY

 

HISTORY AND STORIES OF RUA DAS PORTAS DE SANTO ANTÃO, BY JOSÉ SARMENTO DE MATOS

 

For the second year in a row Lisbon Week, a co-production of Lisbon City Council, enjoys  the official backing  of Caixa Geral de Depósitos (CGD) which has become in this second edition, the main partner to all the cultural areas. Besides its association to the Arts, CGD extends its support to History - whose agenda was once again, drawn up by professor José Sarmento de Matos. 

This year, the journey through Lisbon History will be taken  throughout the stories of Rua das Portas de Santo Antão, itself a secular street. Like in  previous editions, guided tours will follow a script created  by Sarmento de Matos. The tours  will visit iconic sites such as Palácio da Independência or Sociedade de Geografia, and other locations normally closed to the public, such as the Recolhimento da Encarnação.

In the words of José Sarmento de Matos, “the axis formed by Rua das Portas de Santo Antão and Rua de São José is one of the richest in Lisbon, both from the point of view of history and also its heritage. It is the oldest exit from the main urban core towards the north of Lisbon and is located on exact  roman period road plan. After the construction of the Cerca Nova (1938), this road was divided by that door, called Santo Antão because of the existence of a hermitage near this place”. The professor also points out that “this was a privileged location for notable buildings, whether religious or civilian. All this historical wealth deserves becoming the main focus of this year’s event History Route, including  guided tours  to some of its main buildings”.  

 

See the gallery of History spots in our Facebook page

 

We will have six tours per day (09h30, 13h30, 17h30), with specialized guides  in both Portuguese and English,. The starting point for these visits - which will roam across the town - is the Lisbon Week/CGD Lounge, located in Largo de São Domingos, near Rossio.

Reservations only through ticketline number 1820

Free guided tours

NOTE: At the moment, not all tours are available. Stay updated for more visits by the end of August 

ROUTE 1

Meeting Point – Lounge LW - Largo São Domingos

09h30 / 13h30 / 17h30

Duration / 3 hours

 

Igreja de São Domingos 

Palácio da Independência 

Recolhimento da Encarnação ( Igreja e Convento ) 

Casa do Alentejo 

Igreja São Luís dos Franceses 

Associação Comercial de Lisboa 

 

ROUTE 2

Meeting Point – Lounge LW - Largo São Domingos

09h40 / 13h40 / 17h40

Duration / 3 hours

 

Sociedade de Geografia 

Cervejaria Solmar

Ateneu Comercial de Lisboa 

Igreja de São José 

Palácio Sousa Leal (CTT) 

Ermida de São José dos Carpinteiros

 

HISTORY SPOTS

 

IGREJA DE SÃO DOMINGOS

Convent of the Dominican Order founded in the 13th  Century. The church has undergone several restoration works, the most important of those after the 1755 earthquake. Inside you can find relics of the medieval period and of the 17th and 18th centuries.

 

PALÁCIO DA INDEPENDÊNCIA

Aristocratic residence of the Condes de Almada. The earliest references date from the late 15th century, although it has since suffered several changes. The current façade is from the early 18th century. One of its highlights is the Manueline kitchen, with two niched chimneys.

 

CASA DO ALENTEJO

Palatial building perched  against the old wall of Portas de Santo Antão. The current building dating from the late 17th century went through several makeovers. In the early 20th century it hosted the Majestic club - there is still a remarkable set of "private rooms" with period motifs, like tiles by Jorge Colaço and paintings by Benito Seia. Today it is the headquarters of Casa do Alentejo, a nonprofit association that represents the region and promotes Alentejo culture in Lisbon.

 

IGREJA DE SÃO LUIS DOS FRANCESES

Founded in 1552, this church was built to serve as a place of worship for the French community living in Lisbon. The temple was built after the 1755 earthquake. A large picture with representing  Lisbon before that earthquake, and several portraits of the kings of France, are among its most precious treasures

 

ASSOCIAÇÃO COMERCIAL DE LISBOA

Founded in the 19th century, and established in a building that used to host a private club, ‘The Palace’. The decor has pictorial and sculptural elements of the 20´s and the 30´s of the last century, all depicting themes from  that club. From the 40´s onwards became the headquarters of the Associação Comercial de Lisboa.

 

SOCIEDADE DE GEOGRAFIA DE LISBOA

Founded in 1875, it has several rooms with displays of pieces related to the Portuguese expansion period, as well as a huge collection of  Chinese art. Its library is remarkable. The back of the building now houses one of the biggest concert venues of the city; Coliseu de Lisboa.

 

ATENEU COMERCIAL DE LISBOA

Ateneu Comercial de Lisboa, the first private commercial school in the city, is housed in the former Palácio Povolide, whose painted ceilings still survive today. The Earl of Burnay profoundly transformed the building in the late 19th  Century, adding special leisure and sports facilities like the gym and the swimming pool.

 

IGREJA PAROQUIAL DE SÃO JOSÉ

Parish church established in 1546. The current temple, which is still unfinished, was built after the 1755 earthquake and stands out for its magnificent dome structure.

 

ERMIDA DE SÃO JOSÉ DOS CARPINTEIROS

Old temple of  the Fraternity of carpenter friars, who had São José as a patron. This brotherhood was established in 1537. Despite keeping several reminiscences of its prior glory, the façade was built after the 1755 earthquake. Its annex includes two large rooms with magnificent tile panels.

 

RECOLHIMENTO DA ENCARNAÇÃO

Erected by will of Infanta D. Maria - daughter of king D. Manuel - to house the Comendadeiras da Ordem de Avis order. The entire building is of great artistic interest, especially the church’s main altar, all covered in silver. The work was commissioned to João Frederico Ludovice

 

PALÁCIO SOUSA LEAL

The current headquarters of Portuguese Post Offices is a building that dates back to 1704: its first purpose was to act as residence and bread factory to Tomás Mongiardino, from Genova. The building had several owners throughout the years, but still maintains its original trace


LW highlight image

LW highlight image